Saturday, October 22, 2011

Our Neck of the Woods

I snapped this one early in the harvest season.  I just thought it was a gorgeous photo depicting life around here.  We live smack in the middle of an Amish settlement.  That means we have several Amish neighbors and our kiddos have Amish friends that they go to school with.  Actually, we have Amish friends too.  I think, don’t quote me on this, that there are almost as many Amish people round these parts as English people! Pretty cool huh? 

 

A common traffic situation around here involves a buggy or two or three or four, an Amish person on a bike, my ultra cool vanster, a semi, a piece of equipment, a flatbed hauling lumber and maybe even a tour bus.  It took me a very long time to get used to seeing buggies and so many bikes on the road.  The road apples were tough to get used to as well.  My kids don’t know any different!  How neat?  It’s just how life is for them.  They aren’t used to seeing roads without horse droppings on them! Ha!

file30668

Another difference I had to get used to was our uncontrolled intersections in the country.  Where I come from, SOMEONE had to stop at each intersection and you knew when it was you because they put a STOP SIGN IN FRONT OF YOU!  Novel idea!  I was blowing intersections around here for quite awhile before dear hubby enlightened me to the idea that most intersection don’t have stop signs either way.  WHAT?  That seems nutso to me! 

Wait, why did I move here again, horse poo on the roads, bikers and buggies and no stop signs?  Young love, oh ya, that was it!!

Now that it is old hat, I wouldn’t change it for the world.  Isn’t it beautiful?  I count my blessings every. single. day. No place like home!

Monica Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...